Friday, July 31, 2009

Radishes, Beans, Corn and more Corn!

We attempted a very tiny garden this year. I wanted to start small so that I would hopefully be successful. So far the only thing that we have been able to pick are radishes. I got the garden in really late. Everything else is growing just not ready. I am counting it a success since I didn't kill everything! Here are the boys picking our radishes.

Our generous farmer gave us a HUGE bag of green beans. I decided to try and be "Susie Homemaker" and try freezing them. I was so happy that we ended up with 8 quarts to freeze and enough for dinner. Yum!

Farmer Bobeck also gave us about 8 dozen ears of Sweet Corn. Move over Garwoods, Bureks and Sweet Corn Charlie's! This sweet corn is to die for! Yum!!!!! We ate it for about 3 nights straight and then I started freezing it as well.

Here are the official "Corn Shuckers" working hard.

Getting them all ready to boil and freeze.

I ended up with 10 quarts of cut corn (49 ears) and 18 cobs to freeze plus about 4 meals worth to eat this week. Oh how I love summer food! The boys LOVE corn on the cob. They grabbed these off the table and started munching away. They weren't even cooked yet. Oh well a little corn bug never hurt anyone. :)

Hope you are all getting to enjoy some good Indiana produce this summer!

4 comments:

Team Tonagel said...

Good sweet corn is AMAZING! I bought some yesterday and was SO disappointed! Loved the pic of Charlie and Sawyer eating uncooked corn!

Betsy Spoor said...

is that a little naked booty is see in the background of one of the pictures? hehehehehe

The Van Vactor family said...

oh amanda I am so jealous! you are such a pro! You'll have to teach me more!! way to go! I havne't gotten any corn yet this year. I've picked it up for others but not me! : (

dianne and bob said...

I tried the upside down containers that hangs upside down. I planted two tomato plants in each of two containers and they are doing fine, but didn't produce much... just three tomatoes on each plant. the two plants I planted in the ground have 5 tomatoes and about that many blossoms... and that is all the garden I could handle. I eat way more corn than I could raise!

Hey, happy anniversary! Many happy memories from your wedding time. Especially the bridal shower with Pampered Chef party at Carol's. Yummy food and a chance to shop!

Enjoy your boys....