Saturday, December 19, 2009

Decorating the Homestead

I normally love decorating the house for Christmas but I have to confess that this year I was dreading it a bit and was pretty stressed by the end of the day.
Having 2 toddlers that want to "help" with everything and an infant that just wants to be held all the time make it a little difficult to decorate a tree and put up breakable decorations all over the house. So far our decoration casualties include: 2 snowmen candlesticks, 3 ornaments and a few magnetic snowmen that are missing limbs. I'm sure that won't be all by the end of the season.
Here are some pictures of our house all decked out.
Our tree- "Big Bertha" turned out really nice.
My "tacky" tree and tablecloth. I actually LOVE these two things. The tree was in my room growing up and the tablecloth was my grandma's. Plus they look cool in my retro kitchen!

My Fontanini Nativity and our Stockings. I still need to get Brooksie one.

Part of my snow dome collection. Again I know it is a little silly but I got all of these growing up and I love them.

Here is the boy's tree that I let them decorate and redecorate constantly. They are very proud. :)

Some of my favorite ornaments-

Star for Sawyer's birthday.

You know we love tractors at our house!LPHS!!!! Come on, if you are from LP you have to have a "Slicer" ornament! :)
This Tinkerbell ornament came from Walt Disney World when I was in elementary school. I can still remember picking it out.
I love this bride and groom ornament my sister gave me my first year of married life.

I have grown to really love nativity sets. I have a few now. Last year someone pointed out to me that they loved this Mary and Jesus because you don't normally see Mary holding Baby Jesus in the nativity. I thought about that a bit. Having a newborn gives you a new perspective on Mary's role in the Christmas story. Lots of things come to mind- She was so young! She must have been scared and excited all at the same time! Was she worried? I could go on and on. In the end though she was still a new mom and I know the Bible says that she placed him in the manger but I bet she held him just as much if not more. She probably couldn't take her eyes off of him. He was her brand new baby let alone the Son of God!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea about giving the boys their own tree to decorate! I'll have to utilize that next year!

The Rogers Family said...

i need your help to make my blog look so good! Thanks for all the posts...I love following your blog and keeping up with your family!

Team Tonagel said...

Ok now my tree is officially pathetic! Pretty pictures! I bet your house is especially cozy this time of year!

The Ballard Family said...

Amanda, you are not alone with the dread of decorating this year. I too had to force myself to decorate my house too. Not because I did not want to but I have been sick most of the time and sooo tired. But I will say after I was done. I was happy I did it. I love looking at my tree! Your house looks great! I am sure I will have "causualites" next year! So far we have had none. But they are all very high up! :)

dianne and bob said...

Oh, Amanda.... I have imagined Mary's thoughts, too. And wouldn't you know --- I am listening to Faith Hill sing "A Baby Changes Everything!"... I love it almost as much as "Mary Did you know" mostly because, as mothers, we have an inkling what Mary experienced. And now that I have grown children, I get a glimpse of how you have to let grown children do what they have to do.
Blessed Christmas!