Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Midwives Rule!

I had my first midwife appt. on Monday. I can't say enough good things about Fairhaven Obstetrics. If you live in the Goshen area I highly suggest this combined practice of doctors and midwives. I feel so blessed to have a group of midwives committed to women's health all while doing it through Christian morals and principals. Their practice mission statement refers to Jesus as the "Great Physician" and lists a few Bible verses that they believe in. I picked the midwives when I was pregnant with Charlie simply because I loved the idea of having a woman doctor and them staying with me through all of labor. I am so happy with the decision I made!
The five midwives that are a part of this practice are so knowledgeable and caring that it just blows me away every time I see them. Maybe every OBGYN is like this but I just highly doubt it!
There are many misconceptions about midwives like they only deliver babies at home with a pot of boiling water and a stick for you to bite on. Not true at all! This group of midwives is Accredited and very well respected. Both of our boys were born at Goshen Hospital. Midwives that deliver in a hospital allow patients to receive any kind of medication that you would like. However, they don't push it on you or make you feel like you need it. They also are present for as much of the labor as you want and coaching you through everything. Anyway... enough of me raving about midwives. I could go on forever about them!

My appointment went great. I measured in right between 11-12 weeks and the heartbeat was 160-170 bpm. Very average.
I had to chuckle because when Julia (the midwife who delivered Sawyer) was looking back through my charts she said, "Oh! I see here you pushed for 3 minutes with Sawyer. He came fast!" I responded, "You wrote down 3 minutes but I really don't think it was that long. I just remember you telling me to slow down while holding his head in." She said, "Oh I did?! That's awful! I'm so sorry I did that to you. We must not have been ready for him." Ahhh. No! They weren't!

Tuesday I caved and had Ben take a pic just for our records of me pregnant at 11 weeks. I wasn't planning to post it but since I look amazingly thinner than I really am I will! :) It's sad to say that I am wearing maternity clothes in this pic. I can fit into my others still but these are just way more comfortable now! Thank you to all my friends loaning me clothes! I really appreciate it!
peace out,
a

7 comments:

Team Tonagel said...

Love the pregnancy pic! Keep 'em coming... seriously!

Megan said...

Are you the cutest mom ever or what!?!? Being that I will be in VA shortly I EXPECT to see more pictures of the belly... Please, for me?

Anonymous said...

So glad you are happy with yourmidwives! Keep us posted on everything...

Court

ajnielsen said...

Um, Amanda, what belly???? Good grief you look fabulous and you know that it is the unwritten rule that you have to post belly pics through the entire pregnancy. Even if you think you look awful (which I can't imagine you ever looking), you'll look back and laugh later. Oh, and I love the LIve Traffic Feed you added. Now you can see that I stalk you blog about 20 times a day:)

The Van Vactor family said...

Looking good girlfriend! It was so fun to see you Friday. You look fantastic!

The Ballard Family said...

Amanda, You look great! Besides the baby will one day want to see what he/she looked like before they were born. So you have to take a few pictures! And no, you can not have Abigail. I am too attached to her! Who knows God may have given you one! :)

Anonymous said...

You are seriously so adorable!! I'm so happy for you!
love, Ellen