Saturday, October 17, 2009

The Final Countdown

This past week the song, "The Final Countdown" kept playing in my head. I wasn't sure if I felt like I should be preparing for a game in Slicer gym or getting ready to have my last baby. Either way I was pumped and it was game/labor time!
After chatting with my midwife Rachel today I am convinced that I am a little insane and if there was a "Birthing Anonymous" group I would probably be over qualified to join. Just looking at these pictures makes me want to do this all over again! Sick I know. Someone please remind me about the pain part of labor/birth again when I start whining about wanting another child! Please!
Anyhoo... here are few pics from the 3 hours we were at the Goshen Birth Center before Brooks was born. They also have a picture up on their Facebook page for those of you who are members. If you aren't into birth. Don't keep reading. I am not showing or giving any graphic details but still it won't interest you if you don't find birth miraculous.

As soon as we got there I started snapping pictures so I could remember as much as possible of my time there. I can't wait for our picture to be added to all of these other births.

Some of the artwork in the living room.

Here is me after getting there. Not the most flattering pic but I am keeping it real. I was sweating like a pig and had just had a little bawling session from being in pain and just overcome with joy. I really was so happy to be there and I couldn't believe our baby would be in my arms soon.

Getting comfy on the birthing ball.

Charlie helping me with contractions.

It was amazing to have our boys and my mother-in-law there with us for the labor. Thank you Kathy! She commented that it was neat that we were all kind of doing our own thing while there but still part of the big event.
Here is one of the last pictures of just me before Brooks was born. At this point it was just myself, Ben and our midwife Rachel in the birthing suite. I am 10 centimeters along but still smiling. Praise God! Don't get me wrong I had anything but a smile on my face during the contractions but I was so happy that I couldn't help but smile during those short little breaks.
I am not going to post any pics of the actual birth.
Here are the basics...
-Rachel didn't think the other midwife was going to make it in time so she told Kathy she may have to assist. (I would have loved to have seen her face!)
-One midwife ran over from the office in time to see my water break while in the tub.
- The other midwife came running in after he was born.
-Ben did NOT get in the tub with me! Lucky duck! I had been threatening to make him. :)
- I pushed for 1.5 minutes.
- I panicked a little when he came out so fast and Rachel had to hand him to me since I was just staring at him in the water.

We praise God for a wonderful experience and are so happy with our little Baby Brooks. Oh by the way... we still hadn't decided on a name until about 10pm that night after he was born! I think it suites him good.

I will add post-delivery pics in another day or so.
amanda and brooks

11 comments:

MegT said...

How do you manage to look beautiful during labor!? I love these pictures Mandy :)

Frank and Helen said...

A big 'high five' to you, girl!!! You look fantastic during labor! Frank and I think you ought to be a spokes model for natural child birth-CONGRATS AND LOVE TO ALL!

Frank and Helen

The Richards Family said...

Hi!! Love the beautiful pics of Brooks getting weighed in the last post. Thank you for the details on the birth too. You know I love that kind of stuff!! Can't wait to hear the WHOLE story and details..Great job to you, I bet you are just so happy what a great birth story you have. You look way too happy right before, wow! Congratulations again!

Love, Courtney

Beth said...

Reading your story and looking at pics, it looks like you had a really good experience. It makes my upcoming hospital stay look not so fun. :)
Congrats again! You look so cute during labor also. How does that work?

Anonymous said...

So impressed with your birthing experience!! While I have no desire to ever do a natural childbirth, I have ultimate respect for you for doing it! I'm glad everything went so smoothly!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I love the pic you added at the top of your blog of the 3 boys together. Sawyer and Charlie look so sweet and you can tell they love him so much!
Krista Dausman

Betsy Spoor said...

Congrats! Sounds like a wonderful experience! Brooks is adorable ~ more pictures soon please!

The Ballard Family said...

Amanda,
I love the picture of the boys with their new little brother, really good! It was really neat to hear about the birthing center and your experience. So different from mine! I cannot imagine being able to have birth like you did. It's awesome you could have things so naturally! And I agree with the others, you looked beautiful during it all. Congratulations again.

Team Tonagel said...

Wow, you are keepin' it real. Good for you. Great seeing you guys tonight! I love your family and you all seem so happy! Hope Brooks continues to let you get some sleep at night (I can't believe what a good baby he is so far) and you have a good week with Ben heading back to work. Don't forget you can always strap Brooks on with the baby carrier to give you 2 free hands if you need them! Hope to see you guys again soon!!!

ajnielsen said...

Ok Amanda, were you really at a birthing center or at the spa??? You look fabulous! Congrats on a healthy baby boy! We are so happy for you guys!

dianne and bob said...

Welcome to Little Brooks!
Thanks for the update... can't wait for more details. I love the birth experience.
Enjoy your boys!