Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Business of Being Born

Wanted to let you all know that my friend Kathy found where you can watch the movie "The Business of Being Born" online for only $6.95!!!! So worth it! I have watched it probably 4 times now and catch more information each time but this is a great deal if you would like to check it out without having to sign up for Netflix (this is the only place I have seen it offered for renting.) You can buy it on Amazon and I know Goshen Birth Center also has it in their library for borrowing.

This movie is perfect for any pregnant woman NOT just someone planning a homebirth, birth center or even a natural birth. It shows how birthing has changed in our country over the last century, gives statistics and arms you with information on how and why hospitals do what they do with birthing women.

Hope you enjoy it! Let me know what you think of the movie if any of you have seen it.

http://www.thebusinessofbeingborn.com/

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched it for free on Youtube when I was pregnant. I wonder when they made it so you have to pay?? I guess that's their "business", huh? Lol :)

I remember agreeing with a lot of what was said, especially on how doctors often will do c-sections without really needing to in order to get more money.

Personally, I think a hospital birth is safest for me. I know that the rate of infant and mother mortality in countries that do home births is much higher and I'm thankful to live in a place that has good medical care when needed. I also have a friend whose wife was wanting to go as naturally as possible and have a mid-wife and she ended up giving birth and having complications and the baby died. These are the things that scare me so much.

MegT said...

You lent it to me the first time you rented it and I LOVED it! I have obviously never given birth, but after watching that movie it made me REALLY rethink even just the whole hospital process; something I had never given much thought to. You know why doctors have you lay on your back on a hospital bed- FOR THEIR OWN CONVENIENCE! Haha ok I'll stop now before I get too revved up.

The Richards Family said...

Amanda,
Hi, I rented it at our local library for free! Just another option to save money. Check your library!

Courtney