Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The "High"

While in labor I said, "Rachel, tell me again why I wanted to do this?" She smiled and said, "You want the 'high'!"
She was right. I would do it again and again (Ben has forbid that) just for the "high." Here is one of my favorite people in the world my midwife Rachel Johns. She has delivered over 1500 babies! (She also delivered Charlie at the hospital.)


Here are some pictures of after Brooks was born.

I doubt the Gap Casting call would be contacting us anytime soon after seeing his newborn shot! He looks like a Smurf! This was probably a minute after he was born.

The boys meeting their new brother about 2 minutes after he was born.

Let the party begin! The boys loved all their presents from "Our baby".

New "Case" tractors, party favors, snacks, airplanes...

and of course their "Big Bro" shirts. Look how proud they are!

I loved having our boys there with us. It was wonderful. They knew that this was a big event for our family and were super excited. Yet it was also just part of our daily life. They knew that this how babies are born and that mom wasn't feeling good but I would be fine as soon as I got to hold their brother or sister.

Both boys have just been in awe of Brooks. At the moment I can hear Charlie in the other room singing to him, "I love you high. I love you low. I love best. I love you most. I love you THIS much."

As you can see the birthing suite is super cute and comfy. It is kind of like a spa Jill!


Charlie kept making really funny comments. Shortly after Brooks was born I was nursing him and Sawyer said loudly, "He drink Mommy milk and get big and strong." The midwives all thought this was hilarious. Rachel said, "You have obviously brainwashed them well!" :)

Nana having the time of her life! :)


Another midwife that came to assist- Patty.

Finally a picture of the proud Daddy! I realized at the end of the night that I am usually the one snapping all the photos and I hadn't taken any of Ben!

I have been bombarded with emails and phone calls from friends and family asking about Brooks birth since it was not your typical hospital event. I am thinking that my next post will be another "Burning Questions" answered post. If you have any questions I am probably more than willing to answer. I won't obviously give you graphic details but if you are curious about something now is the time to ask!
Until then...
a and b

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Charlie's face is awesome in the "Big Bro" picture! Hope they are enjoying their new little brother and that the newness does not wear off for a LONG time!
-Ellen

Anonymous said...

So, this is not a question about birth, but I want to know:
1. Are you done having babies now? (sounds like you're still wanting more!!!)
2. What was the name you had picked out for a little girl?

Anonymous said...

This is so great, Amanda. I just love reading all of the birth posts and how the family is doing. Keep 'em coming!! Hope you are getting sleep and all the help you need. We are praying for you!

Love to everyone!
Kath

Laura said...

My burning question is...where's the blow by? :) Just a little NICU nurse humor! Thanks for sharing your experience with all of us!! It sounds like you had your dream experience and Im so happy everything was so perfect!!

The Richards Family said...

Thanks for all the awesome pictures. You did a wonderful job! I am glad you were ok with sharing your pictures with us. We have been thinking of you guys alot, we have wanted to call but haven't. We hope you have had time to enjoy it a bit before everthing got too "crazy" with everything. Will talk soon...

Here is my question: After this birthing experience, IF you had another, Would Ben be comfortable with a home birth now? Just curious..

Love,
Courtney

Team Tonagel said...

Cool pictures! Love that everything went the way you wanted! The boys are so cute admiring their little bro!

And to follow up with Courtney's question. After that, would you still be interested in a home birth? I mean, it sounds like you had an ideal experience for you. Do you think the home would be different/better?

The Van Vactor family said...

I love that you are wearing a cute swimsuit in the birthing tub! and I love his nickname! so cute!!! Way to go! I am envious of you! I want a nice bath after giving birth!

JeffandTiffanyClark said...

Ok, well I want to know a lot of details :)

For instance, when did you start having contractions, and when did you know when to go to the birth center (how painful, how often, etc. were the contractions?)

Did you know when you went through the "transition" phase? And were you in the water by this point or was this when you knew you wanted to get in the water?

After Brooks was born, did they let you hold him for a long time and did they do any APGAR testing or any other sort of testing on him at the birthing center or is that primarily only done at the hospital?

Were you encouraged to breast feed right away (like in the tub) to help your uterus contract and prevent bleeding?

Did they have to get any blood from you or Brooks a couple days later for any reason?

Ok, that's all I can think of for now but if I think of any others, I'll let you know. Thanks!! :)

dianne and bob said...

Were the big bro's with you all the time or in and out. Scott at age 8 sat at the head of our birth center bed and counted while I pushed for Seth. Little did we know I would be pushing two hours! but everybody hung in there. Anne at age 4 was in the adjoining room with my parents. When Seth finally (!) crowned and started out I remember looking over to the doorway where Anne was and her mouth was a big 0

Did you ever wish for drugs? Some where in transition I remember saying, "If I were to have drugs NOW would be the time!"

Did you need an episiotomy? Or is that one of the 'too much information; questions.

Have I hit my limit yet? nobody else asked this many, so I guess I will let you go...
look forward to spending time with the big bro's soon.

Anonymous said...

Amanda... Congratulations!!! What a beautiful family you have! I just came across your blog today and I am so glad I did!

Where was this birthing center? I wanted so badly to have a natural birth, but three days into trying to get me to go into labor they took Ashlynn by emergency c-section... I won't ever be able to have a vaginal birth and that makes me SO sad.

Your experience is what I always had dreamed of when I had children of my own. The place you went looks absolutely AMAZING!

Where was it and is it covered by insurance? Were you able to nurse right away and keep baby with you at all times? And I know someone else asked this, but did they do the apgar testing there? What would happen if there would have been and emergency??? Sorry for all of the questions. I find this greatly interesting!!!

Tabatha Corn (MOPS)