Tuesday, May 19, 2009

What do you think?

Here is a picture of me this past weekend while camping. I am now 17 weeks along and feeling like I still pretty much just look chunky but am starting to resemble a pregnant woman.

We still haven't decided for sure if I am going to find out what we are having (boy, girl, pony, monkey, etc... who knows!) As of right now our crazy plan is to have Ben find out and I am not. He loves the idea of torturing me and the rest of our family and friends with the idea of him knowing and leading them on but not actually telling anyone the truth. So... in other words if Ben tells you what it is, DON'T believe him! He already has a plan to fool people and say for example, "Mom, I am only telling you because you are my mom. Don't tell anyone but it is a ..." How cruel!

So here is my dilemma... Do I find out or not? We didn't know what we were having with either of the boys and I loved that. This one is driving me crazy though. I desperately want to know but I also remember how much it motivated me through labor and delivery not knowing what the end result would be. We know that we are done having kids after Baby #3 so that also plays a part in my mind.

What do you think I should do? Honestly!!! Do you think it is a good idea for parents to find out? What is more fun from a friend/family point of view? Leave a comment and give me your advice. I really can't decide and go back and forth on a daily basis.

Thanks! a

ps. Don't forget to vote on the side for the "Boy/Girl" poll. We may close it early if we decide to find out. :)

12 comments:

Cindi said...

Well. I think if you are having this much of a struggle..you don't want to know. If you wanted to know, I think, it would be easy to say "Yes, we are going to find out." But, you seem to enjoy the wonderment of it all...so, I think by not being clear that you NEED to know...you really want to wait to have that experience again.

ajnielsen said...

Ok Amanda, first, you do not look chunky or pregnant. Holy cow, you look fabulous. Second, I would find out, but that is me. 20 weeks could not come fast enough when I was pregnant with Bailey. I, actually WE, had to know becuase we like to plan ahead. Personally, I don't know how people make it to the end without finding out, but that is just me. Plus, selfishly, I am DYING to know if you are having the first Tonagel girl!!!! If so, I am buying the pinkest, frilliest, girliest outfit with tons of bows just for her! - Jill

ajnielsen said...

PS. After reading my post, I'm sure everyone likes to plan ahead and I didn't mean that by not finding out, you still can't plan ahead. I just meant that I had to know whether I was painting the room all pink or blue - buying dresses, etc. Ok, I think you get the point. Didn't want to offend anyone. I'll stop rambling now. -Jill

Anonymous said...

Don't find out! I can't speak from experience but whenever I watch a Baby Story on TLC it's MUCH MORE EXCITING when the couple's don't know what they're having :)
You look great! Love ya - Ellen

Team Tonagel said...

Find out! Try doing it this way. You will have great motivation to get that precious little baby out no matter boy or girl. Your friends and family are all dying to know--just find out! If it is a girl you can prepare for her arrival and it it's a boy you can come to grips with the fact that you will have all boys... it will give you 20 weeks to think of all the perks to having only boys. PLEASE find out :)

Anonymous said...

I found out with the boys because it was much easier to plan ahead (room decorations, clothes, ect). If you are having a girl, then you'll definitely want to make sure you have clothes for her...but if that's not a factor (ie you have friends that will give you enough girl stuff to get by) then I would just wait.

The Ballard Family said...

It seems like you are driving yourself crazy about whether to find out or not. Better to just find out so you can prepare either way. Besides wouldn't it be fun if you could finally buy something pink? You will still be surprised whether it be now or when you deliver. It's just a matter of sooner vs. later. I will admit I am very curious on if the baby's a boy or girl!

Anonymous said...

There are very few very special surprises in your lifetime, and this is one of them. This has always been our thinking. I would not find out. See if you can get Ben to change his mind too, it would me more special if both of you were surprised.

Court and Matt

Team Tonagel said...

Courtney, why did you have to post such wise words? That's exactly what she needed to hear (and exactly what her family did not want her to hear). Just kidding... we want them to do whatever they feel is best for them. And you are right, it is a great surprise!

Anonymous said...

Amanda, I think that you should wait. I am a little concerned how you would react if you happen to find out that you are going to have 3 boys. So, for the safety of everyone at home, please wait. ;) Ha! Love you and can't WAIT to see you Tuesday!! - Kathy

dianne and bob said...

I didn't want to know with any of our three. I love the wonder of seeing the baby for the first time - literally my first words for EACH birth: "It's a Baby!"
Not knowing the gender helped me keep the wonder in it all.

The Van Vactor family said...

Amanda, what do you REALLY want to do? That's all that matters. I know you are torn, but you know you best, how do YOU really truly FEEL??