Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Getting a little political

I am not usually one to go and get all political but I have had some interesting conversations and thoughts this past week. I mentioned in my previous post that last week we (our household) all seemed "out of sorts" I think the election played a part in it.

I have no problems stating that I voted for McCain for this past election. With that said, I along with many others in this country had a hard day last Wednesday. I know MANY were rejoicing but there were also many that were saddened by the turn our country seems to be taking.

I have started doing devotions with the boys in the morning after we eat our breakfast. Last Wednesday's devotion topic and story were incredibly appropriate for that morning. Let me just share a little bit of what we read. Remember that this is a Bible Devotion for Preschoolers. :)

"Do you ever wake up feeling grumpy? If you start your day by praising God, it will help you to be happy. You can stretch out your arms and say, 'Thank you, God, for a wonderful new day!' After saying Thank you to God, you can't possibly be grumpy!"

"Happy are the people who know how to praise you." Psalm 89:15

Our Bible story that we then read was based on 1 Samuel 8-10. It is the story of Israel crying out for a king. God tried to warn his people about what they thought they wanted but they did not listen. Eventually God gave them Saul as their king. It worked out for a little while but then Saul started to disobey God.

If you do not know how this turns out, look it up and read it. These topics seemed so ironic to me! I know though that they weren't ironic at all. God had us read those for a very specific reason. As I was reading these things to the boys, it struck me how God is not only working in their lives through this devotion time but through mine as well. I needed to hear that although I did not want Obama as my president I need to make the choice to honor God in my day and be happy. I also need to pray for my president to make Godly decisions for our country.

Part of my choice to honor God with my daily life involves letting others know that I do not support abortion. I believe that many women (Christian and non) have been affected by abortions both physically and emotionally. Obama wants to make abortions easier for woman and young girls with the "Freedom of Choice Act". I know there are many people in our country that voted for Obama but do not support his abortion stance. I have also seen a complacency among Christians that they just "don't get involved in politics" so they don't vote. So... no matter if you voted for him or not, if you do not support abortions, let him know it!

Please visit this site and sign the petition that will help to stop him from signing the "FOCA" as his FIRST order of business as President. http://www.fightfoca.com/

Thank You!

amanda

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although I agree with you and I am against abortion if at all possible, I believe that a woman and her close supporters (whoever they may be) ALWAYS have a right to choose what is best in each situation.
Keeping abortion safe and legal does not make it more prominent, history has proven this fact. (The number of abortions performed nationwide did not decrease when abortion was illegal. The only difference was that more women died.) Just like education about and availability of birth control do not make young people run out and start fornicating!

Kathy Tonagel said...

Congratulations Amanda on standing up for your beliefs on a "controversial" issue for some people; others like me see it as the Truth. Don't ever apologize for speaking it.

Is abortion ever "best" for the little boy or girl being killed?

dianne and bob said...

Amanda... Bless you for being bold and up front with a topic that some confuse into a choice issue. Why should one person get to choose to kill another?

We don't allow people to kill babies, children, or adults no matter what the circumstances. What is the difference between a baby outside the womb and inside the womb..... just a different address. A person is a person, no matter how small...

Yikes... I got a little "political" too!

a.tonagel said...

Thank you for the comments left (and emailed) about this post. I hope that it makes some people think about where our country is going with this.
To anonymous: I appreciate your comment. I would appreciate even more knowing who is reading my silly blog! :)
I think you and I have a different standard for morals so we will probably just have to agree to disagree since we don't have common ground. God forbids the innocent killings of children. Therefore, I believe our country should as well. With the defeated attitude of "keeping abortion safe and legal" why not make other things legal as well? (prostitution and drugs)
Thanks again for the comments. Keep 'em coming! I don't mind hearing from people who don't agree with me.

Anonymous said...

Hey Amanda,Praise God for people like you who take time from their busy lives to take a stand for LIFE! Ultimately what matters is what does the Living GOD think about the subject of someone "choosing" to take the life of another! I stand with you and will be in prayer with you for God to continue to work to change the hearts of Americans and our leaders in this very important issue. P.S. I love that you are doing "toddler time" devotions! Keep on Keepin On!

Laura said...

Amanda, I definately agree with you. I cant for the life of me understand, pro-choice or pro-life, why anyone would want to reinstate partial birth abortions. It seems the choice side has made it their goal to stop any progress made from the other side. FOCA isn't just about a CHOICE, its about disgusting practices, no uglier than illegal abortions (although I would agree uglier). The choice is already well protected under Roe v wade (dont even get me started on that). I dont understand why we as HUMANS can't inch our way towards respecting human life even in our tiniest of subjects. Im most definately pro-life, on a personal level. I struggle politically because I see many, many LIVE babies here thrown to the wayside like garbage. I also see moms who have been pregnant 16 times, with 15 abortions. Abortion or carrying to term, disregard for human life and basic human rights is the main issue here. I dont understand why both sides politically cant work together to decrease BOTH. It breaks my heart to see such progress in this effort, go 10 steps backwards with FOCA. I think Obama is SINCERELY misguided on this issue, easily swayed by his party. Like you, I will just pray God puts his foot down on this one.

Laura said...

Ok, I stepped down from my soap box...where did you get the devotionals for toddlers?

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda:

I'm enjoying your website. Happy Thanksgiving to you and Ben and the boys. I'm fixing dinner here, and I have Dennis' family coming at 4 p.m. so instead of eating before they arrive, I thought I would check out your website for the first time!
You're in our prayers for continued blessings. In His Love and Care, Aunt Charlene and Company