Friday, February 11, 2011

My Quest to be Cool

Every girl desires to be cool in one way or another. Her definition of cool may be very different from someone else's but I think it would be hard to find a female that doesn't have that inward desire. 
Growing up, I was not a "cool" girl. I didn't have designer clothes. We were not poor but my family just didn't spend money on those types of things. You know the things that matter to every middle school girl- Guess jeans, shirts from Maurices and County Seat. I can still remember trying hard not to be envious of the pretty girls with their curly hair, big bangs, overalls with one strap left down, Guess t-shirt and the "Pump" Reeboks. Oh and they were dancing with a boy at "Fun Nights." You know what else every cool girl had? Wickets. That's right I said WICKETS. They wore their cool winter ski coats to school with all the wickets from their ski trips still attached. It was kind of a competition to see who could have the most hanging from their zipper. 
My mom begged me to go on the 4-H ski trips every year but I was too scared to go. I didn't know how to ski, it looked scary and plus I wasn't cool and I knew it. So... I never went. 
Well all you "cool" girls look at me now! :) So, I'm still not cool (notice my "Sensow" smile and rubberbands in my hair b/c I forgot hairties) but I have a wicket!


When I started teaching they begged me to be a ski club sponsor for 2 years. I tried to explain to them my "uncoolness" and how I didn't know how to ski! I finally caved in my third year. They dangled free season ski passes in front of Ben and he told me to do it. So... I went and took the ski lesson with all the other 6th graders and was completely terrified. But lo and behold I learned to ski! And guess what, I love it!!!!! So I helped sponsor the club for two years at WMS. Cabana Boy and I bought skis after my first lesson and have enjoyed this sport together ever since. We haven't been able to go for the last three winters b/c of us having baby after baby after baby... but his parents stepped in, watched the boys for the night and let us go ski! It was awesome!


Here's Cabana Boy on the slopes. Look at that form!

And here's cool me. :)
Ben asked what it would take for me to feel cool. I told him if I was a well known birth photographer someday I would finally feel cool. He said that most people wouldn't consider that cool. Just weird. Thanks babe.
Remember how I mentioned that what is cool to one girl may not be to another? Well my cool is birth photographers. I think they are way cooler than movie stars and pop artists. Maybe not Fergie but everybody else.

So what makes you cool? Mind sharing?

peace, a
ps. yes, i know I have terrible English skills. Don't tell my former Language Arts students.
I faked it for 5 years. I don't have to anymore. :) 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha! I had to crack up at the County Seat and Maurices!!! Totally forgot about those stores!

Helen Z. said...

Cool or uncool-we love you just the way you are! Except for the dark hair-still haven't gotten used to it! Have to see it in person!

The Van Vactor family said...

I am so jealous! That makes me miss skiing with you guys. remember when jeff fell in a bush coming down the hill? : ) maybe someday we can go with you again! : )

another blog stalker said...

Fun! I enjoy reading your blog and feel inspired to leave a comment as I always thought you were pretty cool!

Joel/Mal and Troy/Meg said...

Growing up on the other side of the country none of those things were cool where I lived. By the way what in the world is "County Seat"!?

Being cool meant wearing Limited Too and Adidas Superstars— Anybody else, or was that just my middle school? Oh and Jncos were really cool, but I could NOT pull off those pants at all lol.
-Meg

Anonymous said...

I totally forgot about County Seat!! Nowadays I think wearing a pair of skinny jeans makes me feel "with it"...not sure about cool! -Ellen

Jill said...

In junior high, I remember thinking the girls who wore Guess jeans and Esprit clothes were cooler than me.

Nowadays, I don't tie coolness with a person's sense of style or what they wear. I think someone is cool when they are comfortable with who they are - those people who are 'themselves' no matter where they are or who they are with. People who aspire to always learn more, who find a healthy balance between maintaining an open mind/listening to and learning from others, and yet standing up for their beliefs... people who are kind and genuinely care about others.

To me, a person who does those things is the definition of cool.

Jill and Darren said...

LOL. I can't tell you how bad I wanted Guess Jeans. Eventually i managed to scrape together enough babysitting money to buy some at an outlet. I also grew up on the other side of the country and I do remember county seat, so maybe megan is just a few years behind. ;) We still love you megan, even if you make us feel old!

darcy said...

Wicket or not.. I think you are cool. =)

Jill said...

Addendum to my earlier comment: And I can't believe I forgot to tack this onto the end before - I also think midwives and birth photographers are cool. Not at all weird. Just cool. :)